Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: How to deal with massive Pak+Puma+Stug/Geschultzwagen Spam VS Expert/Hard Wehr  (Read 8579 times)

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
I find it very hard countering these sort of units as the soviets.  My AT guns may kill a bunch of tanks, but then eventually gets decrewed (which is very hard to recrew) and it almost always seems no matter how many tanks or vehicles i kill, the computer just manages to spam tons of them to the point where its stuck to either a stalemate, very slow advance, or pushing me back.  Any tanks i get will be vulnerable to the massive amounts of cloaked paks, or stugs/geschultz, there will no matter what always be atleast a few of these even though i take lots down, they just easily get rebuilt again.  I hope im not the only one whos having a very hard time with them.  i would also like to add the AI builds a MG bunker guarding lots of the important fuels early game.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 05:23:32 PM by 132 »
My personal favorite

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
Either kill the AI early game or get IS-2s backed by SU-85s. That usually works

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
It's at this moment that I abandon all chances of outnumbering their AT and tanks with my own: consider that the AI at those levels get at least a manpower boost, and will always be able to outproduce/outgun you.

Usually I resort to ambush tactics with Tank hunters and Naval troops. Focus on munitions and manpower and arm up for light-at weapons. Paks and Stugs struggle against single infantry, and being cheaper, you can outproduce them.

Offline Alexander 'ApeMen' J.

• Global Moderator
  • Against Jabba and what he has done!
    • View Profile
    • The StarWars Rap :D
or the easiest way to fix this
stop copm games and play pvp :P

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
I find just rushing them early game is the easiet. I tried playing a game today (I got my mouse working again :D) against hard AI. They might have more stuff on the field but they're still as stupid as before. So I rush armor and ROFLPWN them

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline Tehcumseh

• Strelky
  • I have extreme nationalism.
    • View Profile
Sure hope i'm not out of place. But let me switch this around and ask(wasn't going to make new thread for similar topic) how can i stop mass Russian army. I play Wehr on Leningrad with 1 normal cpu on my team vs. 3 Russians on hard. They quickly swarm the map with conscripts and red army. So i turn to defense. How can i push back against it all when they got all fuel and mass tanks and tank hunters as well the ATG(or whatever the Russian one is called) Thanks friends  ;D

"I am a crack shot!"
"Heart or head either way Jerry's dead!"
"Don't worry, we're basically bulletproof!!!"

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
or the easiest way to fix this
stop copm games and play pvp :P
Unfortunately when ever I go on multiplayer almost all games are multiplayer compstomping or requires a password so it is very hard to find one.  Even then when I get the chance for a decent 2v2 that doesn't have an AFK host, I get the host may randomly kick me to the lobby for no reason  :P.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:27:31 AM by 132 »
My personal favorite

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
Then you should bait your friends to play CoH too and especially Ef mod.

Well, the AI expert was outgunned by me, so I think you can too. Try my way: sniper abuse :P
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:51:20 AM by Dann88 »
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
Dann always abuses snipers :P

Sure hope i'm not out of place. But let me switch this around and ask(wasn't going to make new thread for similar topic) how can i stop mass Russian army. I play Wehr on Leningrad with 1 normal cpu on my team vs. 3 Russians on hard.

Well first off you have an uneven number of teammates so that could be a reason why you cant seem to fight back AI. Second you play on a bridge map which promotes camping and static play. And if you must play on this map just abuse mortars and MGs and snipers. Basically support units

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
Then you should bait your friends to play CoH too and especially Ef mod.

Well, the AI expert was outgunned by me, so I think you can too. Try my way: sniper abuse :P
But what happens when hes got snipers of his own?  ;D
My personal favorite

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
You counter snipe ::). Although I think the AI sometimes hacks with its snipers

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"

Offline MonolithicBacon

• Mapper
  • Commissar
  • When in doubt, crush.
    • View Profile
You counter snipe ::). Although I think the AI sometimes hacks with its snipers

I've got to agree. Cheeky little bastards are always waiting where my snipers relocate to.

Offline Dann88

• Soviet Commander
  • Major
    • View Profile
AI snipers are somewhat easy to bait. They always fire anything in his range, even tanks :P
I'm drunk now, I'm outranked you in philosophy.

Offline Otto Halfhand

• Donor
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
Hi guys!
Here are some ideas to try when dealing with AI. First I generally play at hard AI levels or at expert but only with 1v1 or 2v2. The AI gets different bonus rates for MP then from Mt and Fuel. IIRC the MP bonus is 1.5/1.75/2.0 and the Mt/Fl rate is 1.25/1.5/1.75. I might have it just backwards. Anyway at humanand normal vs 3x hard you are looking at a resource imbalance of 2.5 to 5.25 and 2.25 to 4.5.  This basically means you have to generate 2x the resources the enemy does. So aim for 67 to 75 % map control.

Map control is one way. Denying the enemy map control can be even more effective. The two ways I approach this are Defencing, and Strategic Decapping.

Defencing requires you to block areas so the enemy has no access to large or strategic areas of the map. Wire is good early game but you need to come back and place tanktraps when T3 becomes available to the enemy. You can always funnel your enemy with appropriately located wire and traps. Laying proper minefields is good to. Jojorabbit is were good at this. Of course when you have limited the enemy approaches you need to bushwack them when they come a calling.

Strategic decapping is fun. If you use Scorched Earth or Urban Combat CTs it is easy. If not There are several considerations. When capping look for the cut off points. Those strategically located areas that when decapped deny the enemy resources enmass. Two areas decapped on the Kalach map can deny the enemy ALL on map resources. I find it unwise to cap areas I can't to hold. Decapping however is another thing entirely. It takes half as much time to decap and the enemy loses the time in transit to recap. In frontline situations decapping is effective as well.

All this is relatively passive. On to the combat options.

Do you use the three ping buttons located above the tactical map? With practice you can move your "allied AI blob" to preoccupy the attention of the enemy AI. If you get really good at it (or maybe just lucky) you can trap the entire AI blob in a pocket. Difficult but very very satisfying when you accomplish it. (You have to be the one to seal the pocket though. Then pound the pocket with artillery While you decap or take map control. It doesn't take long to deplete the enemy resource advantage this way.

Are you using your squads effectively? Volks with MP44s in cover on defense most always, Ingeneri dicing with pioniers do so at long range. When planning your OB, figure you require two squads of an equivalent type to do what one squad could handle in PvP. The reason for this is the comp has an inherent reaction time advantage. It can react to your moves 4x faster then the most agile 17 year old. You need local superiority. Also be aware of the range differentials in enemy indirect fire weapons and take advantage of them. Capture enemy weapons don't build them. Ingeneri and volks are much cheaper to reinforce then building your own AT guns.

There is more to be said but this is enough for now.
孫 The
EF_v1.7.10
子 Art
Illegitimi non Carborundum -"Vinegar" Joe Stilwell
兵 of
Sun Tzu says: In warfare one compels and is not compelled by others
法 War

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
Thanks, I will now try and play games WITH popcap instead of infinity (no wonder they had tons and tons of spam) and get some MG pits and focus on harassing points more often.

Also, you said earlier that pings on the tactical map affect AI attract attention and distract, correct me if I am wrong
My personal favorite