Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Eastern Front Latest News!  (Read 28881 times)

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
Eastern Front Latest News!
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:58:32 PM »
Hello guys!

It has a while since we wrote an announcement, don't worry, we are not dead but just a bit busy ;). Since it has been a while, we have some points to cover, so let's begin:

1vs1 Tournament

Congratulations to all the players that joined and played in this tournament! Specially for the winners:

* 1st place (50$)
   BartonPL

* 2nd place (one CoH2 beta key and access to the ostheer beta)
   Dentrag

* 3rd place (Ostheer beta access)
   JB

You can watch ImperialDane shoutcast of the finals here.

Ostheer Maps Contest

Thanks to all the mappers than are involved in this event, and for those ones who forgot to join, the deadline has been reached(February 28th), and it is time to finish your map and upload it to the mapping section of the EF forums. For more information about the contest, you can refer to this post.

Good luck to all the contestants :).

Ostheer Sneaky Peaky

Now to the main business. We have some parts of Ostheer left to unveil, like the Command Trees, and we will be showing them soon. Meanwhile, I leave you some screenshots of units than Ostheer is using but haven't presented them before, at least properly:

Ostheer will use some aircraft units as well, more than Soviets or US; the JU87 "Stuka" is a Tank Hunter unit, JU88 is used as heavy bomber unit and the JU52 "Tante" is a logistics and transportation plane. These units belong to the Army Support Tree, so I won't say too much about them, because we will talke about them in the next week :). JU52 original model by MrScruff, finished by Halftrack and Tankdestroyer. JU87 original model by MrScruff, Kanonenvogel 37 by DMz, textures by Slayerknecht, model finished by DMz and Beefy^. JU88 model, textures made by DMz, animations by Walki.

Flammpanzer III is the upgrade that replaced the stubby, we opted for this one because flamethrower tanks are useless in CoH, so we wanted to give a chance to this baby giving it a proper balance of course. One more reason, was to make different the role of the Panzer III and to make it more original, because an armoured unit with a low velocity gun was already present on Panzer Elite(their Panzer IV F1) but not an axis flamethrower tank. Flamer gun and animations made by Walki.

Panzerfusiliers remain almost the same, just than they have a different weapon, it is not the MP44/StG44, it is not the MP41... it is the Kar98k. Yes, you read correctly, they will wield the Kar98k rifle.

At this point you are probably wondering either about being a "meh" decision or a bad decision or an obvious decision due to the small weapons available to choose, certainly we had another plan in mind, and some old fans might remember it now: if you look at the weapon they carry, it is not a MP40 but an MP40/II. These weapons were manufactured in very limited numbers so, Panzerfusiliers now have the option to upgrade their regular weapons into MP40/II submachine guns, giving them double fire rate than the usual MP40 but double reload time as well.

Here is an additional picture for a close look:

Original model by Relic, modifications by BurroDiablo and animated by Walki.

As additional note, Panzerfusiliers can fire panzerfaust, but unlike Wehrmacht they use the Panzerfaust 30 "Klein". If you are interested to see the different types of panzerfausts, click here.

Ostheer will have access to the Sdkfz. 251/21 as a possible upgrade for the Halftrack. Known as "Drilling"(which is a German word that means triple), this HT has a triple-mount of MG151. Works as AA unit and also works wonders against infantry. Model, textures and animations(and OE job) by DMz and Beefy^.

The only objective of this screenshot, is to show how the vet system will be for vehicles. Some tanks and vehicles will have access to this upgrade system, which represents three options: armour, commander, engine. Each one improves the tank over a specific area, and once you choose one, every time you get a new veterancy level the bonuses you get are related to the upgrade chosen, which means that once you pick one you stick to that.

As armour implies, it improves the armour of the unit. For the commander one, it gives the unit a commander(which becomes a cupola gunner later and improves the performance of the main gun also as a late vet bonus) while the engine vet improves the vehicle speed and acceleration. The only armoured vehicles than get these three choices so far are Panzer IV, Panzer III(yes it has a gunner), StuG III, Brummbar, Tiger and Panther. The other units get engine vet.

The same thing can be said for the infantry upgrades. Infantry units can get Mechanic, Medic or Scout veterancy bonuses... the first one makes the infantry unit able to repair vehicles and makes them better once they get more vet levels; Medic makes them able to heal allied infantry soldiers and the ability becomes better once they get more vet levels; the last one is Scout, which help them to move and cap faster, allowing them to take less damage as well.

Future Patches and the Beta

And the last point we would like to talk is about future patches and the beta, while the beta is close, this doesn't mean we will stop to fix issues until we release 2.0.0.0 (which will be the patch were Ostheer will be released to the public), the latest released patch should fix the nasty AI errors everyone was getting since the last update.

We are working on the last details for the beta, however, while we still have a lot of work in the 2D/3D areas because most of our models are not final, we are in conditions to start the beta. And thanks to the effort of all the active Devs the beta is very close. So stay tuned ;).

Also, AGameAnx has joined to our team as AI coder, to help us with the Ostheer AI(and maybe if he has time to tweak the regular AI even more). This doesn't mean Jojo resigned, he is also part of the team, however, he had an accident last november and he still needs to recover. Good luck comrade!

In the next announcements we will cover the Command Trees and the Veterancy with full details, so stay tuned ;)!

Regards,
The Eastern Front Team
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:42:30 AM by blackbishop »
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline krupp steel

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Front Latest News!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 12:56:11 AM »
This is very interesting and unique, I can't wait to see how their veterancy system goes, it was far exceeding of what I have expected at all.
My personal favorite

Offline Orle

• Ingenery
  • Yepp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:54 AM »
Wow, everything is looking great, especially the PzIII ;) The vet is also interesting, i like the repair idea ;D

How will the Ju88 work btw, like a call-in creeping barrage???
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:11:57 AM by Orle »
<3 ISU-152

Offline Jäger

• Donor
  • Guard
  • Amateur WW2 Historian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 04:29:30 AM »
I enjoy this post, I eagerly await for Mein ostarmee.

Offline Spieel

• Guard
  • It is I, Spieel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the update. And now I really can't wait for the ostheer....

Offline Hellc@t

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
    • H&D2 International Clan
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
How will the Stuka attack tanks? like the 'Panzerknacker' from PE Luftwaffe and by calling-in or air raid?
And the Junkers 52 when dropping German paratroopers will be shown on the map and also on the screen? ... if yes, you have to do the same for US paratroopers when dropping.... when you drop them you don't hear a c47 plane nearby or you don't see it on the map. Where are those paratroopers coming from..? Heavens? :D
Ready to go on the hunt... :D

Offline Tankbuster

• Allied Commander
  • Major
  • I have no anti armor capability!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »
Patience my friend, patience.
(un)official forum troll

In Soviet Russia, Forum troll You!

Offline Sotahullu

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:13:35 PM »
How will the Stuka attack tanks? like the 'Panzerknacker' from PE Luftwaffe and by calling-in or air raid?
And the Junkers 52 when dropping German paratroopers will be shown on the map and also on the screen? ... if yes, you have to do the same for US paratroopers when dropping.... when you drop them you don't hear a c47 plane nearby or you don't see it on the map. Where are those paratroopers coming from..? Heavens? :D

Well in essence Stuka has 2 37mm strap on it's wings so it will swoop down the skyes and aims for the tanks roof or side armor.

But yeah,  I wonder what is the Ju52 role anyway?

Offline Viperthug91

• Beta Testers
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
It will probably be for a supply drop purposes. And the stuka will work like the panzer Knacker, i dont think they could animate the dive bomb effect without looking completely ridiculous

Offline jonarus_drakus

• Strelky
  • MG42: 1200 rounds of fun for the whole family!
    • View Profile
    • Mediterranean Mod Sub-forum
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 05:43:08 AM »
Question on the whole 'veterancy' thing-

I remember a while back there was the suggestion of "Ace" level veterancy for suitably Elite Vehicles/unit (Panther and Marksman), along with super-specialized one-off upgrades to go along with said "Ace" promotion. Is this plan still in the works at all? I actually had a few plans for possibly expanding it to cover more vehicles...

~JD
~ MedMod Dev

Offline Loupblanc

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »

The dive-bombing Stuka is already coded and animated into COH, in another mod.
 Forgot the name. But it's the one with the donkey who has twin PanzerShreks.
You know, there are many people in the country today who, through no fault of their own, are sane. Some of them were born sane. Some of them became sane later in their lives. It is up to people like you and me who are out of our tiny little minds to try and help these people overcome their sanity

Offline neosdark

• Donor
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 12:37:53 AM »

The dive-bombing Stuka is already coded and animated into COH, in another mod.
 Forgot the name. But it's the one with the donkey who has twin PanzerShreks.

Thats either NHC or Cross of Iron

Offline Sommarkatze

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
  • KCH should wear capes at vet 3 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 06:18:29 PM »
Looks great! When choosing a upgrade for the infantry will they change any apperance? If you choose the medic for example will one of the soldiers turn into a medic or such?

My English is kind of useless. But that because Iam swedish Wooohoooj! ;3

Offline Gerrit 'Lord Rommel' G.

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • #RememberAdmiralAckbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »
Looks great! When choosing a upgrade for the infantry will they change any apperance? If you choose the medic for example will one of the soldiers turn into a medic or such?
Nope. Not needed and make no sense ;) (A Medic is a non-combatant ;) )
May the force be with you.

Offline Mentgeak

• Donor
  • Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »
It's looking great! Can't wait, keep up the good work!