Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Axis Non-German Troops  (Read 49840 times)

Offline Pauly3

• Commissar
  • I have studied your art.
    • View Profile
Re: Axis Non-German Troops
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
i would love hungarian scouts
-they know the area, so they can cloak,
-4 or 3 man squad, not too strong (wield K98)
-get a powerfull first strike bonus when surprising the enemy
-and are not too expensive.
But obviously they would need a limit or a harsh upkeep to prevent spamming.
like it has been stated before it wouldnt make sense to just make foreign soldiers to replace the german landserzug (awesome idea by rommel) so the support troops need a unique role (like sneaking up to heavy mortars and fucking them up... 8))
Also i like the Idea of having a weak, doctrinal, early game tank that hunts infantry (like british tetrach)
ok thank you guys for reading...
"But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
  • Id explain WWII to you but your head would explode
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2010, 01:46:41 PM »
by early inf tank you must mean the panzer II? FTW?!

Relic, the all powerful god of history and physics which can be bent to their every whim!!
Relic name: SauerKRAUTSHD

Offline loran korn

• Strelky
  • Servir muy frio
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
I love the idea. Foreign troops I think should only have support role as the Germans carried the Eastern Front on their backs. I disagree with the Mauser though. I made Steyr-Mannlicher and the M44 smg for Hungarians. They did not have Mausers.
As for the Panzer II: I dont hate to disagree. By 1942 the Panzer II was all but obsolete. Heck it was obsolete by 1940! We have Luchs and I think Panzer III is the most mild we should go.
Audio Technician of the Eastern Front Mod Team

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
obselecnece is not the point each side used any tank (or any peice of equipment) until late into the war when the number of modern models made wasting the resources on the old ones just dumb.

Relic, the all powerful god of history and physics which can be bent to their every whim!!

Offline Pauly3

• Commissar
  • I have studied your art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2010, 04:27:28 PM »
thx for good feedback
well i am not an expert on the matter of infantry arms of WW2
so i take your word for the mannlichers(sounds great btw)
i dont mean panzerII i meant those romanian or tschech tankettes, them small ones who were eaten by soviet steel but who could stand their turf VS snipers and conscript spam.
i just think the support troops should have really useful abilities
like cloaking, ambush(like PE fallschirmjaegers), or digging trenches, finding mines..
"But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Offline Saavedra

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2010, 01:43:27 PM »
Personally, I suggest using Spaniards and Finns as elite units, and Romanians as others as cannon fodder (weak but plentiful units).

For Finns, think Falls with Assault Nades to ambush the enemy. Maybe they could have an upgrade to get MP40s, but it would have to be expensive, or a marksman upgrade that could work either as the Recon Tommies´, or the G43 Pgrens.

Spaniards could be Grenadiers with the ability to build trenches, and use panzerfausts. A good, average unit with defensive capabilities. A second unit could be some kind of officer or command squad able to call down light artillery (light mortars, nothing anywhere near as powerful as the Wehr or Russian officers´) and use fire-up on the unit itself only, and also use grenades. Basically, think a unit that when its accompanying infantry is pinned down, races ahead to nade the enemy HMG.

Romanians could have both infantry and a light AT gun, maybe a light HMG too. If Russians are the kings of offensive spam, Romanians could be the kings of defensive spam, relying on having a lot of infantry around, and recrewing their support weapons multiple times.

Offline SauerKRAUT

• Guard
    • View Profile
    • 1st Spearhead Division
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »
Well the Finns would more likely have their version of the PPsH (that the Russians stole BTW) and a lot of captured equipment. One thing that would be cool is the Finn Lahti 20mm AT rifle, which is mounted on a sled like bit and would have long range and is semiautomatic and is often used with a scope (rape face sniper?). I fired one on a range about a year ago at an exhibition (freaking 35 bucks for a shot, rare ammo either custom or reloaded) and is the loudest and most awesome display of firepower I have seen firsthand.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2010, 08:22:22 PM »
I was wondering if Ostheer will have Axis Non-German Troops(aka Finns, Romanians, Hungarians, Spaniards, Italians) it could be made with a single call in(something like "calling reinforcements"), creating a method who randomly gives you one 4-man squad of those countries.

Maybe someone just don't like it because it will be multiple instances for a single purpose, or represent a lot of work for dev's. It's just brainstorming.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline Ost_Front_Soldat

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2010, 04:56:18 AM »
@ blackbishop

I kind of like that idea. Interesting. Maybe not the Finnish or Spanish, but for the other 3 it looks good.

Offline Aquastorm

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2010, 02:54:37 PM »
Hi, long time lurker on the forums but never bothered to register until right now to add my 2cents to this:

While it would be nice to see some non-German Axis military support, it isn't exactly necessary but would be good as additional "flavor" to the game. Come to think of it, you don't hear the Canadians complaining about them being underrepresented without custom skins or units even though it can be said that the Royal Artillery and some of the Royal Engineers doctrine is portraying Canadians forces in WWII

I honestly don't mind having Romanians, Hungarians, Italians, Spanish...etc. But I don't think the introduction of the Finns would be in the spirit of the Ostheer. They weren't involved to the same degree as the other Axis nations on that particular front.

The Finns were mostly fighting a war of homeland defense, not as an aggressor and didn't really connect with the rest of Operation Barbarossa. 

Offline 250.Inf. Div.

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2010, 06:19:45 PM »
ost_front_soldat I respect your idea but the Finns and the Spanish were better soldiers because they were war veterans and soldiers experts.

Offline Daiwiz

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2010, 06:26:29 AM »
What Aqua said.

Speaking as a Canadian, I'm fine playing as the Americans or the British, it is only when game developers decide to place units from a different country and have them capture our objectives. As an example, Caen was heavily fought over by the British, they did the main work. We bombed it to hell and then took it. However, in nearly every game that has Caen you play as the British and they have the British as taking the final bit. Atleast in COH they had our troops fighting over the airfield. Off-topic though.

In terms of the Finns, while I wouldn't mind seeing them, it is true that they generally kept to their own borders having to deal with the onslaught of the Russians or kicking the Germans out, depending on the date. Perhaps a little bit for the future is to add the Finns. But not as a part of the Ostheer. At least, not like this.

Concerning the others, I think it is really realistic to add them. One thing that might be possible is adding in the Ukrainians. Under Stalin they had been starved etc, and so when the Germans steamrolled in they were welcomed with flowers, women, and cheering all around until the "Final Solution" began to take place. They could easily be incorporated into some kind of elite (SS, although this might be upsetting for some) or normal troop. Same can be done for the Polish. Some did welcome the Germans and joined up with the SS. This happened wherever the Germans conquered. Just a thought.

The main thing that needs to be looked at is who would be best suited to stopping the Soviet inf-spam or the Armor-spam? I'm not talking of one faction for both, but every bonus unit has to have some use. Right now the main issue is that the Russians can quickly build up a large force of crap units and swarm you, or they can build up a good sized force for a bit more time and steamroll you. Counters from all of the Non-German troops will be required. Perhaps one troop comes with an mg squad that causes major suppression? Perhaps another has a bonus to laying traps, such as AP mines and AT mines (Look at the Combat Engineers in BotB mod). Heck, the ability to build trenches is pretty useful as from what I can tell most people don't put flamethrowers on their Sturmovie. Just thoughts on the process of unit creation for the new nations.

If a nation used its own weapons, then that should be shown, assuming the modders are willing. The rifles can probably be fixed with little work, and sub-machine guns generally follow a similar way of looks. The MGs I should think won't be much work. As with the SMG, they are generally look-a-likes. Basically, a bit of research into the various weapons produced by any of the countries people mentioned is required.

If anybody knows of some kind of tactic or field upgrade that was common to a group of soldiers, say it, as it would be useful I should think. An example is the Sherman. The Americans made several versions, yes, but the British and us Canadians made a heckuva lot as well. Firefly, DD-Sherman, Brown Bear (I think, I know it had Bear in the name) various mine flails, etc. Say the Bulgarians had a tendency to add, I don't know, a couple extra machineguns to their tanks. Add that in. Place the MGs facing all over the tank, perhaps with the ability to carry a squad and man the MGs.

My thoughts on this, and yes, Non-Germans should be in the Ostheer as they did take part throughout. I don't know how many Russians were used to fight other Russians though.
In Soviet Union, rifle shoots you!

Offline My Name Is Ante

• Guard
  • Please, my name is Ante not Dante
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2010, 10:57:06 AM »
I have to admit that I kind of disagree with idea that Ostheer should have foreign troops. I mean it kind of not CoH style.
But hey, they should be unique isn't it? So, like it or not, I think Ostheer could have a foreign troops.

It just a suggestion, how if the troops are available through reward system? I believe it will make people who love to see Ostheer with pure German and those with foreign troop can actually get what they wish.

I apologize if it ever discussed before. Well, it has been a while since my last time see this forum.

Thanks
I am sorry for my bad

Offline ford_prefect

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
Saavedra I've been gone for a long time and I find it amazing that your STILL pushing your little Spaniards :P. Ok someone give me the static.

Offline 250.Inf. Div.

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
Saavedra I've been gone for a long time and I find it amazing that your STILL pushing your little Spaniards :P. Ok someone give me the static.

those little Spanish, conquered half the world and created a global empire and were the first to defeat Napoleon's army in the open field, the little Spanish were first getting into paris and never retreated in the est front, so a little respect please.