Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: OFFICIAL POLL: Removing the original factions plus adding in retreat and vet  (Read 39092 times)

Killar

I came from GR.org after reading a post there asking people's opinions.

The basic gist of most of the replies there was that Brits and PE are basically broken for different reasons in comparison to US and Wehr factions, so why even ask about replacing them to get the functionality the dev team wants from the factions.  (Seriously... read the replies there, I'm not exaggerating.)

Might I suggest making a true poll there, as there is a large skilled playerbase there mostly aware of the design and balance issues that exist in the current version of CoH, but they might not be motivated enough to come here and register to vote...

Please post the link.

On the face of it the majority of the forum members will vote for implement vet and retreat but keep the relic factions.

But the people outside this forum, from whom these complains came and we need to recrut to play, don´t vote.

As i understand these people would agree to remove the relic factions in order to play again.

So it would be very good to implement these people into the vote, perhaps by starting another vote on a gamers page.

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Listen up knuckleheads!
    • View Profile
The thing about recrewing is that its not only about doing so for your own weapon. Its about denying them to your opponent.
How many time have you de-crewed and MG/Mortar and left it so your opponent can re-crew it and cause you the same problems all over again? You're much more likely to steal it than have time or chance to sit and try to destroy it(which you never do with anything other than an AT gun).

Because of these mechanics and the fact that heavy weapons can be de-crewed easily because they can be recrewed, its not really possible to balance this as things stand with just cost and weapon strength or unit size/health.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:56:49 PM by Zerstörer »
R.I.P MrScruff - A genuine Good Guy and great artist
R.I.P Loran Korn - A very brave and talented guy
RAP NEWS http://thejuicemedia.com/?ref=nf

Offline Seeme

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
I have an idea!

AT guns are like, 300 mp, right? Well in the support barracks you could buy JUST a weapon crew for like 100 mp. They are the same stats as mechanics and forces on recerwing motels, AT guns, and mg. If not the enemy's, at least our own.
The Russians think there sooo tough, wait till the Ostheer comes...

Coh Name: Seeme

Offline wordsmith

• Guard
    • View Profile
I have an idea!
AT guns are like, 300 mp, right? Well in the support barracks you could buy JUST a weapon crew for like 100 mp. They are the same stats as mechanics and forces on recerwing motels, AT guns, and mg. If not the enemy's, at least our own.

I don't know if I understood well you idea. But it gives me some inspiration, I was wondering if it is possible to give decrewed AT gun a status of "armor wreck" and then either salvage it or recover it with special recovery engineers? Same for mortars. It would be like bypassing the game mechanics, but at least opponent wouldn't be able to use against...

Offline Westoffensive

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Quote from: BurroDiablo

[qoute
If the fucking house collapses in the process, you can't say we didn't try.

Yes, but I think that even the possibility is rather dramatical for this mod.

--

Ok guys,

because this mod has died for me a long time ago this is the last post from me in here.
Maybe I will play this mod some day again but for now I´ll erase the last part of the EF chapter by deleting this forum account. And the bullshit I have read from GodlikeDennis is the last straw.

Just one thing I wanted to know:

What is so important about the personal rank? Who really cares about that? I know a lot of people out there which have a higher rank than me even if they have a negative win-loss statistic. They just play more often because they might have more time. So the ranking system do not provide anything about the real playing ability of a player.

"Die Deutschen sind ohne Frage die wunderbarsten Soldaten."
Feldmarschall Lord Alanbrooke, Chef des britischen Generalstabs

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
Rank goes hand in hand with competitive play which is the core of any online multiplay game. Its about competing against others for a better position.
Unless you're hacking it also indicates ability to play the game and level of understanding of the game mechanics and balance. Cause that allows you to take advantage of them and win enough to have a higher rank.
To keep a high rank, you play alot of games. When you play a lot of games you gain better experience and understanding.
If you're striving for a higher rank then you're bound to delve deeper into balance/mechanics and understand better how that is achieved.

Its not black and white, but it is a good bet that the higher the rank the more sound the opinion will be. Besides that wasn't the only question.

In either case you've stated many time the mod is dead for you and you're not playing etc, so I don't quite see the point of indulging further on this. We'll take the steps we feel are necessary to fix things.

You're already not playing the mod so any fix we put in place can't make the mod any worse for you.

So, lets move on
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:01:23 PM by Zerstörer »

Offline redtail666

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
You noted the lack of games being play, the question you need to answer is why?  There are dozens of people starting vanilla CoH games, and a small percentage of mod games going lately.  3 months ago, it seemed like the majority of the players were into modded games  The poll you should be taking is: What is preventing /deterring you from playing EF or other mods?  And you have to have more than a couple vague generic choices to get their reasons across.
I play EF 90% of the time, experimenting with different armies, and sometimes dealing with bugs/problems.
These are some of problems that I have seen in EF, that may be keep others away.  In no particular order.
High crash rate.
First units not producing after an upgrade.
Players not patched to the same level, preventing play between them.
Lack of ranking for Soviets.
High cost for low quality units, especially weapons crew with no recrew.

Fix the game play bugs first, then consider options to change the main issue, which is probably the lack of ranking system keeping top players away.

Offline Dominic 'Dragon' Cassidy

• Administrator
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
Quote from: Zerstörer
We were rank 11, now 8 in moddb. That shows a certain interest still exists thankfully, but people are still not playing it. They're waiting for things to get fixed and that's what we're trying to do.

Imo, large amount of them are waiting for Ostheer.
Not to say there aren't people waiting for fixes.

Cassidy Motto -> Frangas non flectes.....You can break me, but I'll never bend.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
High crash rate.
If you go through CoH forums you'll see that they have the same problem, unless the crash isn't on the middle of game. I mean, if CoH do that, EF usually will behave the same, after all, its a mod of it.

Players not patched to the same level, preventing play between them.
Ehmm... you have the same with Relic's CoH and any other multiplayer game.

Lack of ranking for Soviets.
The only way to get ranking and recrew is a)replacing OF factions or b)Relic will release a patch fixing this.

I have been thinking about a method to get vet, but the only thing i thought is something like "the sins of the father are the sins of the son", every single squad will gain experience by themselves like the allies, when the first unit of that type reach vet 1, new units from that type will be built with vet 1 and so on; those others units on the field of the same type will remain with the same vet as do conscripts when you upgrade to nkvd conscripts, of course conscripts and nkvd ones would not gain vet.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline hgghg4

• Commissar
    • View Profile
I think the point is that the community at large is not playing EF or mods in general. Why? Dunno but during the early summer months it might be beneficial to release a balance patch if you don't by then. Why? More people will be home and out of school, thus providing an increased amount of players. As far as the mod being dead, its not dead forum or DL wise, but Online it is. Biggest problem is that people are DLing the 1.00 Patch and its high imbal and people will start to wonder if DLing the patches are worth it. Provide a new installer that has an auto updater that forces you to DL the new patch before starting the game. This might turn the few people who like the OP of the 1.00 russians but at least the community at large will be on the same patch and will probably provide a better experience for those who are just starting to play the mod rather then being completely bum fucked by the 1.00 Russians.....

Offline SavageWorld

• Donor
  • Guard
    • View Profile
We're trying to fix what's broken based on the majority feedback, to make the mod more successful and MOST importantly more fun for alot more people.

Hanging our head down and accepting defeat isn't what we do, especially when we CAN fix the issues.
Ignoring the feedback and keeping down the road which has proven usuccessful would be idiotic of us.
The fact remains some people aren't bothered by the fact that the faction is indeed broken. Don't much care about balance either(cause balance is bad when a faction is broken) because the gaming experience for them is still fun.
Some people on the other hand would prefer the factions to work perfectly even if that means the limitation of not being able to have all 6 in the  same match at the same time. For them a better balance game with complete features increases the experience ten fold.
And that is what the poll is about.
Responding to the majority feedback can never be a mistake!

Fixing the root cause of the problems isn't causing more problems. Its making the job alot easier when it comes to fixing what problems are left.
+1

unrealted to the quote
I don't now why so few people mention that you would be able to play automacth. This give you the posebility to play against equally skilled opponents with I think is more fun.

Offline revoluzer

• Strelky
    • View Profile
Hi, I extra registered for this tread. Maybe you know me as huetti07 from other forums.

I have voted for others...

I would enable Russians and the coming ostheer to recrew.
Then I would keep PE and Brits, but then they arent able to recrew. Pe have their mobile Vehicle which replace motar, mg and at-gun. Flaks are something special then...  :-\
The British emplacements could be made that way, that you cant decrew them, only destroy them.

That way you can do everything for Russians and Ostheer, also with Vet and retreat... and you can keep OF factions, not fully playable, but if someone wants to play with them, he can...

That is my suggestion and I am not playing online, because when I have time, there is nobody waiting for a match.
Maybe the problem is, that nobody opens a game  :P
I dont know, also I am waiting for a patch for weeks, because of your nice pictures you uploaded and I thought, when the updater has no source to update, maybe there is something new to be uploaded  :D

BTW, who was the Lead Developer, you are talking from?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:51:18 PM by revoluzer »

Offline Zerstörer

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
That's messing up relic's faction's balance which opens a whole new can of worms.

Won't happen. sorry

Offline georider

• Strelky
    • View Profile
You Know what I have vote ;)
Keep the existing ones and sent the soviets back to their "mamas " wiping , Keep on Team :)

Offline ford_prefect

• Mr. Spam
    • View Profile
huh strange I didnt think we could have political pictures at the bottom of our posts...