Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Brit Arty  (Read 7666 times)

Offline Crinkle

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
Brit Arty
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »
I rarely play as brits but since the RMC i have been experimenting with them.

I always choose the RAF doctrine, not sure of ingame name, and the 25 pounders that i have constructed never really seem to be worth the fuel or manower required.

Are there any ways in which the arty can be used effectively and tactically even as a faction different to the royal artillery?

pariah

Re: Brit Arty
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:15:45 PM »
I find them to be of not much use, except on the smallest maps. The increased range you get with Royal Artillery helps a lot, but since you can just get a Priest, there's still not much point in building them...

Offline RedGuard

• Mr. Spam
  • Welcome to Axis Front mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:30:47 AM »
use the officer arty, it kills infantry literally in one second massive damage
Soviet is OP

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 04:51:58 AM »
I <3 Overwatch shells.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

Offline tigerclawstyle

• Strelky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 08:11:47 AM »
I use British more then any other faction, even before the RMC addition (yes, I'm sick in the head). Primarily because of it's anti-tank defenses and artillery support. After a proper defense is set up, I begin building my combat groups. Prior to incursions I bombard the hell out of the Germans, with regular bombardments, and creeping barrages. Having 3 or 4 guns reigning down hellfire in one spot or many causes considerable damage. Overwatch and counter battery mixed with anti-tank defenses can essentially keep your forces safe until your ready to attack.

My favorite aspect of the artillery is that it bleeds German manpower. Either by destroying enemy units or destroying buildings thus stopping their production.

Also, thank you EF team for RMC  :)

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 04:28:03 PM »
Are there any ways in which the arty can be used effectively and tactically even as a faction different to the royal artillery?
Radio triangulation - Commando Tree.
Setting them up in distant 3 places is difficult but worth its price when Wehrmacht is building their late game super duper cheaper uber vet 3 units. Its great for spotting Snipers, Paks and Stormtroopers, not allowing Germans to repair their tanks close to the battlefield. Not only will you know where to drop shells but also how (witch way) to set your tanks (Hull down maybe) if theres any attack mounted by the Germans. I belive British armor force (without infantry - independent operations) is the most tactical challanging ingame (slow cross country speed, weak armor, Cromwell CT usage - not just causing traffic jams, very different gun stats, limited time on Flank speed...) Radio Triang helps you use the right formation to repel the enemy.

Theres off course the Captain victor arti too. Good when you can get close to the enemy without exchanging shots. Its great when your enemy base is outside the 25lbs range but you can get your Captain close it and drop some shells on reinforcing units. And then meybe some Officer or Commando arti too. :D) Some free shells

With secured resources (Brits should never have more than 1 truck on fuel - becouse they dont need it that much) and with Radio triangulation detectors properly set up + 1 Howitzer build it takes 5 minutes to to finish off a defensive WH player.

25lbs should only be build 25 lbs when your oponent starts plaing very defensive. Unless you see an 88 you should never build 25lbs vs PE. Im not sure about the efectivness of arti vs Nashorns (reward unit).

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:05:30 PM »
The Nashorn is a Hummel with an 88mm. So arty is the same effectiveness against it as it is in counterbattery fire vs Hummels.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

pariah

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
Oh yeah? So Counter-Battery works against the Nashorn? That sounds like a bug to me...

Offline Paciat

• Mr. Spam
  • Without balance COH world will end!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
The Nashorn is a Hummel with an 88mm. So arty is the same effectiveness against it as it is in counterbattery fire vs Hummels.
And 25lbs arent the stronges cannons ingame. Only 125dmg. With Luftwaffe reparing it it and no seperate crew HP bar Nashorn can probably sit there for ages.
Oh yeah? So Counter-Battery works against the Nashorn? That sounds like a bug to me...
Not the ability. Counterbattery-bombarding enemy gun - a tactical move (like flanking).

Offline GodlikeDennis

• Donor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 05:30:12 PM »
Yeah I just meant counterbattery as in firing back at him in general.

25lbers suck in comparison to other arty pieces. Priest 105s are much better.
If you get into an argument with me, you're wrong.

Offline FOXYJAGER

• Strelky
  • Sgt Reznov"I think the Riechstag needs remodeling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:20:16 PM »
Can someone tell me what counter-battery is and when it should be used and I think fuel is highly overrated I normally end up with 200 extra fuel no matter what because anything I can purchase with fuel I don't have enough manpower for.I never have enough munitions   playing as the soviets because of reduce resource gather and weapon teams and tanks and for the Brits I'm always spending on upgrades or arty
This game is balanced in everyway. Every Army has its strengths and weaknesses and you use your strengths to attack the enemy's weakness. If both players know this,than it turns into a game of skill.
-FOXYJAGER

Offline Tico_1990

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:24:06 PM »
Counterbattery is what it says, if something fires at you, it will fire back. As far as I know, if you have one piece or arty set for counterbattery duties it will fire rounds at every artillery piece (these include nebby's, walking stuka's and mortars) shooting at any of your buildings/units/emplacements.
As far as I know, there is no radius for this to work (as in, the enemy shells don't need to land in a certain vicinity of the Counterbattery arty).

Offline FOXYJAGER

• Strelky
  • Sgt Reznov"I think the Riechstag needs remodeling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:59:42 PM »
So what your saying is if my Inf units are getting nebed on the other side of the map one of counter arty will shoot at those nebs
This game is balanced in everyway. Every Army has its strengths and weaknesses and you use your strengths to attack the enemy's weakness. If both players know this,than it turns into a game of skill.
-FOXYJAGER

Offline Tico_1990

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 11:13:33 PM »
Not sure because I haven't used it in ages, but yeah, pretty much that (if the enemy uses shoot and scoot tactics the counterbattery is obviously less effective).

Offline Max 'DonXavi' von B.

• Developer
  • Eastern Front forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »
I tried it 10mins ago and it works, Priest vs. Nebels.

Lemberg - Baraque de Fraiture - Smolensk - Heiligenbeil - Nobel Dynamite Works - Lorient - Poltawa