Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Help a guy out?  (Read 3134 times)

pariah

Help a guy out?
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:41:44 PM »
Hi, guys. If nobody is too busy, could someone please help Lex out with some strategy? He's still new to this game.
http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/replays.php?game=25&show=details&id=221560 [nofollow]
I'm not sure how to watch it. I assume i need to download it and play it in-game. :(

Chancellor

Re: Help a guy out?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:45:54 PM »
I'll watch and put the suggestions here, although I'm only position 400 with PE, so I think its better if he asks the GR experts.

For replays, you download them, then put the replay file into My Documents, My Games, Company of Heroes, Playback folder

pariah

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:47:52 PM »
Thought as much. Thanks.

Chancellor

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
k, I checked both players' accounts and watched from both POVs.  Both players are very new, so I think I can do a bit of good advice.

[nofollow]
1) Wrong place to build the barracks.  He should build it more forward to optimize his rifle squads hitting the field faster.
2) Your mate had his cap order correct, however he failed to continue capping.  There was an idle engineer squad on the left side that should have been capping.  Be sure they are doing something at all times.  Shift-click capping commands.
[nofollow]
3) This riflesquad should have retreated right away when he saw 3 PG squads coming.  Doesn't matter what cover it had, it would have lost.  Instead, your mate stayed in the fight until the whole squad was killed.
[nofollow]
4) The two engineers on the right should have capped or lay mines instead of sitting behind the sandbag wall they made.  They are useless like that, and were quickly overrun and killed
5) There's no room for a WSC that early when playing against PE.  Instead your mate should have built more rifles (up to 4) and riflestalled, which is basically avoiding fights with PGs and using USA's superior capping rate to out-cap PE and deny fuel as much as possible.  After that, the objective should be to get an M8 our T17 out ASAP, and an AT gun to protect from AT HT after that.  AFTER THAT, WSC is an OK choice, but even then, a mortar is not a good choice against PE, since they are mobile.  Snipers are usually your best WSC unit against PE because of the 45 reenforce PG cost.
6) Finally, for doctrine, I would recommend Airborne, and go for Strafing Run first, seeing that he was blobbing his PGs very closely.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:20:58 AM by Yauz »

pariah

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 12:22:09 AM »
Thanks for the tips, mate. I do think that a Weapons Support Centre is a good starting building against Panzer Elite. The Heavy Machine Guns are great versus both infantry and light vehicles (especially when in well-placed houses), and the Snipers can pick off any suppressed infantry.

Offline Cranialwizard

• Donor
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Unknown Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips, mate. I do think that a Weapons Support Centre is a good starting building against Panzer Elite. The Heavy Machine Guns are great versus both infantry and light vehicles (especially when in well-placed houses), and the Snipers can pick off any suppressed infantry.

Weapon Support starts are extremely risky. You have to rely on engineers with flames as your main infantry with sniper support. Your main advantage is the early and fairly cheap mortar, however against PE it doesn't provide too much support. HMGs are a viable option in buildings since nothing can really insta-gib them VS PE T0-T1 other than flanking.
"Balancers are 10 a penny"

pariah

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:46:54 AM »
Heavy Machine Guns are very good on this map, because there are some nicely placed buildings making it easy for them to cover nearby Points.

I find early Mortar to be pretty pointless, since there's nothing to bombard...

Offline Lex54

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 10:02:45 PM »
Ok I'm here and sorry for the delay.
So pretty much from what I read is that I'm not being offensive enough and I need to deny as much fuel possible? If that's that I think I got it.
And as my only doubt is this: should I go for Light Vehicle Factory or Heavy Vehicles?

pariah

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
Hi, Lex!

I would generally recommend the Tank Depot, but it depends on what your opponent does, as well as your current resources and income. It's important to base your own actions on what your enemies moves are.

pariah

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 05:01:23 PM »
Watch this shoutcast:
http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?s=4eccd12124fff6e6c9db952473fa2618&showtopic=806341 [nofollow]
This has some good American M.G. use in the beginning.

Offline Stevie64

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 11:01:12 AM »
I like playing the Lufwaffe most but I can attest to the dire need of fuel for any PE doctrine. You won't be able to deny fuel on all maps, but if you can it will very likely be the Achilles Heel for any PE wanting to use vehicles heavier than a scout car.

And since the Marder's pop has been reduced from 8 to 5, you can bet they'll now be hunting in packs... (if they can get enough fuel, that is).

Offline Pac-Fish

• Axis Commander
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Waka Waka Gluba Gulba
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:13 PM »
Your priorty should probabl a Motor pool, not a tank depot(unless you fuel is good). To get the M8 out would be 75 fuel (45+30), to get a M10 would be 145(90+55). And the M8 has Anti Infantry and mines, M10 only has AT and crushing :P

Om Nom Nom Nom
"Panzer-Guppy ready for battle!"
"Ha Ha Ha! We have the ZEAL!"
"Grenadiers! Fall In!!"