Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: THQ will develop a new Company of Heroes game  (Read 144506 times)

Offline EasyCalic

• Allied Commander
  • Strelky
  • Profesional slacker
    • View Profile
Re: THQ will develop a new Company of Heroes game
« Reply #345 on: March 09, 2013, 04:29:38 AM »
There was 2 months difference between the initial CoH release and Worldbuilder being patched in. If they're that swift this time around, I'll eat my own farts.

Be aware... I'm saving this quote.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 28, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
I haven't seen anything about this in the fourms, but there is a date revealed for the closed beta for CoH2.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/28/company-of-heroes-2-closed-beta-starts-next-week/

Although in other sites says it starts in April 25. I guess we will know it soon :P.
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline stealthattack1

• Axis Commander
  • Major
  • there is no losing, only delayed winning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 28, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
nice. well well see if pc gamer is credible.

OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND RAPE CEASERS GHOST IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!?

Offline The Soldier

• Developer
  • Commissar
  • Shock Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2013, 10:31:39 PM »
April 2 for the pre-order people, April 25 for those that got beta keys. :) Epic!
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
~Erwin Rommel

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 08, 2013, 01:34:23 AM »
I'm really disapointed at how they made the soviet's in COH-2, they feel like a copy of the Americans from COH-1, except worse. Lets just say more than half of the soviet tanks half trouble penetrating the REAR armor of the german ones, and the IS2 and ISU-152 are just a disappointment  :(

Offline 250.Inf. Div.

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
I'm really disapointed at how they made the soviet's in COH-2, they feel like a copy of the Americans from COH-1, except worse. Lets just say more than half of the soviet tanks half trouble penetrating the REAR armor of the german ones, and the IS2 and ISU-152 are just a disappointment  :(

Agreed with you 100x100.
After play alpha and beta i am very disappointed with the optimization, units(very poor design), A.I. ¿where is the new dynamic A.I. they promised?.
I still prefer E.F mod.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2013, 01:48:20 AM »
Well, since SEGA is dropping the written NDA today, i can give you specifics regarding what is broken right now in COH2 (still cant post video or images though regarding the COH2 beta)

A few things to consider
-the way penetraion in COH2 is done is changed, there are no more target tables, and tanks now have an armor and rear armor value and guns have a penetraion value

penetraion is calculated by:
Armor / penetration = chance of penetration

Here are some fun stats for you (im just glad the game is still in beta so they have a chance to fix them)

Soviet tanks are crap, and you need to win early game or you risk getting steamrolled by axis late game armor. the only soviet tanks i even consider worth building right now are the KV-8 and SU-85.

-The IS2 has a 50% chance of not penetrating the REAR armor of the tiger, which has 220 rear armor(also, both the tiger and IS2 can be built multiple times from the tank depot when you choose the doctrine thta has them)
-The penetration of the IS2's gun is 110, which is the same as that of the Panzer IV and stug
-The ostwind is capable of killing medium tanks, its gun has a penetration of 30, unlike the ostwind in COH 1 which has .000001% chance of penetrating medium armor and above (the COH 2 T34 has an armor of 135, and 100 rear armor)
- the T34 has a 25% chance of not penetrating the rear armor of any german medium tanks (T34 has a penetration value of 75, axis medium tanks have 100 rear armor)
-The panther has 1000 HP (the same as the COH2 IS2) and 340 armor, and has a range of 60 (the same as AT guns).
-the stug is only 50 fuel (cheaper than the 75fuel T34),  but has a range of 60 like the COH2 panther and COH2 Su-85, and some have managed to build them only 4 minuets into a game.
- the T34-85 is doctrinal only and replaces the standard T34-76. However it costs more, is slower, and takes longer to reload than the T34-76 and german medium tanks. It has a penetration of 110, the same as the german panzer IV and stug
-The panther, elefant, and brumbar (which is a heavy tank in this game) are all non-doctrinal, the soviets have no access to non-doctrinal heavy armor
-The elefant is basically a mobile flak 88, but penetrates every tank 100% of the time, except for the IS 2 (which has 500 armor, the same as the elefant. also, unlike COH 1, in COH 2 the penetration of weapons remains the same, even if your very far away)
-The doctrinal ISU152 is ok against everything but excels at nothing. It has a range of 100 and good splash damage, but has poor armor (225) and health (675, about the same as the panzer IV) poor accuracy (it has high scatter) and the same penetration as the SU-85 (170). i remember a game where i watched multple shots from this thing bounce off of a non-doctrinal panther and thought WTF (especially since the game says these things should be good against the heavy tanks)

Soviets have tons of arty
-remember how in early EF you could build the 120mm mortar early in the game? Well take a guess at what COH2 did...
-The ZiS-3 (though i guess its because its not that great in its job as an AT gun) and Su-76 can fire mini arty barrages
- The doctrinal 152mm howitzer does 300 damage and has 100% penetration against everything, and has a very big area of effect

soviet guards are probably the best soviet AT option, and perhaps best infantry in the game
for about 360 manpower you can get your hands on some guards infantry. Guards infantry come equipped with 2 PTRS anti-tank rifles. each PTRS has more penetration, DPS, and range than the T34-76 (and more range than half of the axis tanks) and is extremely accurate. Guards can also purchase a DP-28, which gives them the "button vehicle" ability which we all know and love. The combination of those 2 make them very effective tank killers

many games i have defeated the german armor by putting these guys in a halftrack and  running circles around the german tanks with them, like a soviet kangaroo carrier (but unlike the kangaroo carrier, infantry have a 100% chance of survival if you kill the vehicle they are being carried in)

However, the game is obviously in beta and i guess we should expect such imbalance. Even then i do enjoy the new feel of it, and i absolutely love how soviet vehicles have a chance of getting women drivers which talk when you select them
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:53:30 AM by robotnik »

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »
Cool :) Could you deliver some screenshots? :) // Curious

Offline Raider217

• Donor
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »

There is an NDA on COH2 beta that means no vids not screenshots cept of course written stuff such as Robotniks comment

Well, since SEGA is dropping the written NDA today, i can give you specifics regarding what is broken right now in COH2 (still cant post video or images though regarding the COH2 beta)

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2013, 10:06:27 AM »

Unfortunately no, as said by the guy above me

I just hope they improve the soviets, because right now they feel like a joke. You can win with them, but its not worth building any of their tanks and their is very little veriety in strategy if you want to win, and have to rely on ZiS AT guns or things like the obviously OP guards infantry to take out the german late game armor, or the very early stug.

Offline Orle

• Ingenery
  • Yepp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »
I've also had a go on the CoH2 beta, and i get graphics issues :-\ flickering and such, but anyway.

I think its pretty wierd that the elephant is a non-doc unit, its just....wierd. The brummbar is also pretty heavily armored, i had 2 T-34s flanking one but most of the shots were bouncing, which is also something that happened when i attacked a stug III with a IS-2, the first 2 shots bounced >:( i destroyed it shortly after though with a Zis-3.

hope they tweak the damage, because as it is right now, it heavily favors the germans( tank damage/pen that is)
<3 ISU-152

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »
I've also had a go on the CoH2 beta, and i get graphics issues :-\ flickering and such, but anyway.

I think its pretty wierd that the elephant is a non-doc unit, its just....wierd. The brummbar is also pretty heavily armored, i had 2 T-34s flanking one but most of the shots were bouncing, which is also something that happened when i attacked a stug III with a IS-2, the first 2 shots bounced >:( i destroyed it shortly after though with a Zis-3.

hope they tweak the damage, because as it is right now, it heavily favors the germans( tank damage/pen that is)

Well its a beta :P

Offline Orle

• Ingenery
  • Yepp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

Well its a beta :P

Yeah ofc ;D i love the Voice acting though, and the weathersystem is pretty nice, so its not all bad :P
<3 ISU-152

Offline The Soldier

• Developer
  • Commissar
  • Shock Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2013, 12:52:39 AM »
Weather system is A-OK in my book. :) Love the blizzards! :D

Althought, to be frank, balance with tanks are F*CKED UP.  No seriously, THEY ARE. :P There was a replay on the SEGA forums that showed the OPness of the Germans armor.  The Soviets hung on in a 500-point victory point game (the points go by WAY faster in CoH2 than they do in CoH2, btw) until the Germans were down to 10 points.  Then rolls in the Elephants, Brummbars, and Tigers. :P They lost.  Base annihilation. XD
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
~Erwin Rommel

Offline Dot.Shadow

• Axis Commander
  • Commissar
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 16, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
CoH2 has no mid game. There is no reason I should not go from Grenadiers/Panzergrenadiers in CoH2 and straight for the Panther spam.

Mortars are ridiculous. POOF! Whole squad gone.

Snow & blizzards are okay I guess, but they just make games that much more campy. Arty rules the field on those maps.

Overall:

Teching is broken. Going straight from early game to late is stupid.

Balance is broken. (Mortars instakill entire squads all the time, soviet weapons crews are way too large and seem to ignore barbed wire fields, tanks are just silly, grenades do practically nothing now (as opposed to when they killed entire squads in alpha).

Unit control is annoying. Infantry squads sometime even split up when retreating, making them impossible to control when 1-2 guys are standing in the middle of the map, while the rest are camped at your base. They also like jumping over fences at the worst possible time (especially if there's a grenade they can all pile on top of, or if there is flamethrower which can lit them all on fire in an instant).

It just feels less tactical, more spammy, campy with a larger requirement of luck.