Company of Heroes: Eastern Front

Author Topic: Regarding the historical accuracy of the SU-76  (Read 7376 times)

Offline BurroDiablo

• Developer
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • NYET!
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the historical accuracy of the SU-76
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »
It's a Tank destroyer, although I'm not sure of it's specific in game attributes.

Offline Blackbishop

• Administrator
  • Poster of the Soviet Union
  • Community Manager, Programmer and Kicker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »
AFAIK the Jagdpanther has crappy accuracy against infantry(at least from my experience long time ago) and it comes from the Tank Destroyer Tactics tree, I'd say it is tank destroyer. Do not misunderstand me, there could be a chance Relic could though of making JP a bit good vs infantry regardless of the way it comes.

Robotnik already posted a comparison like 10 posts above:
Actually, they have even less range than the marder

Range comparison:
Marder and geshutzwagon: 60
57mm AT gun: 60
Firefly: 55
SU-57:50
Panther: 47.5
Jagdpanther and other supertanks: 45
Tiger and most other tanks: 40

And if you still want a justification for it being used in game the way it is compared to real life, the SU76 were not that bad against the majority of medium tanks such as the stug and panzer IV, and when supplied with tungsten cored APCR rounds (which soviets seemed to be the only country to have a decent supply of) they could take out heavy tanks at closer range, or at greater ranger when aiming at the sides
Mors Indecepta

Might controls everything, and without strength you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself...

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »
Hmm ok, yeah i was thinkin much about  this

Offline Jeff 'Robotnik' W.

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 10:08:15 PM »
Yes, the jagdpanther is definitely suited for use as a tank destroyer.

It has very poor accuracy against infantry, and it has basically no splash damage.

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 11:33:42 PM »
While were at it how was the range differences irl?

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 12:11:01 AM »
well, if you are talking about effective range (assuming each gun was used in direct fire and not indirect like a howitzer), the 88 used on the jagdpanther had great enough accuracy to be effective out to about 3000m. The 76mm on the SU-76 was effective to about 2200m. While they probably shoot farther than that, doing so meant much less accuracy and was generally considered as wasting ammo.

If your talking about effectiveness against tanks, thats an entirely different story. genrally tanks were never enganged at more than 2000m, since penetration was not that great. normal combat range against tanks was around 1000 to 1500m

Armor penetration at 2000m
76mm on the SU-76 = 48mm using APBC ammo against armor at 0°
88mm used on the jagdpanther = 132mm using APCBC ammo against armor at 30°

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 01:20:30 AM »
so why does the jagd have a shorter range then the su in the game?

sorry if i have missed how realistic you guys wanted to be with this mod since im kinda new to this mod :)

also correct me if i am wrong, but the panther had a 7,5 mm so why did they have longer range then a gun that is longer? sorry again, i am just wondering not saying you guys are making mistakes or anything just wondering since i am new to this mod :) i am just curious :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:22:38 AM by saprize21 »

Offline Orle

• Ingenery
  • Yepp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 02:03:01 AM »
Well, the panther has a longer barrel on its 75mm, whichs means greater velocity and thus, more range ;D

ingame though, i guess is bacause the marder/su-76 tanks have crap armour, so they need to stay far away to survive battles, the jagdpanther on the other hand has beastly armour, and its range is still good.

although i was suprised how much shorter the JPs range is compared to the marder.
<3 ISU-152

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 03:04:18 AM »
Well, its for balance reasons. who would use the SU-76 if it had to go up close to tanks to do damage, since it has very weak armor. remember, balance > realism, meaning we prefer balanced gameplay over realism

also, the bigger the bore of a gun doesnt always mean better penetration. the panther (75mm) and 17 pounder (76mm) both have way better performance than the shermans (75mm) or SU-76(76mm) gun IRL because their shells packed a lot more propellent into their casings. the length of the barrel also helps to, as it allows the propellant to burn all the way

in the picture below, the one all the way on the right is the ammo used by the panther, while the one to the left of it is the ammo used by the panzer IV. as you can see, it packs more propellant

Offline saprize21

• Guard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 04:31:58 AM »
ok cool :) have you ever thought of having lessons in history for people? :)

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 04:39:47 AM »
I was thinking of making history my major at my university  :) because i love reading about it. Unfortunately there are not many jobs out there for historians so i went with Computer science instead (which is my other favorite thing)

If you want to know more just post a thread with questions in this section
http://www.easternfront.org/forums/index.php?board=7.0

perhaps maybe we can have a general questions on WWII thread

Offline silverwing

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »
I think that the model of su76 is too big.It has the same underpan as T-70 in real world,but in game it is much bigger than t-70.Almost the same size as t-34

• Developer
  • Mr. Spam
  • Forum historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
I think that the model of su76 is too big.It has the same underpan as T-70 in real world,but in game it is much bigger than t-70.Almost the same size as t-34

Dont worry, we are working on a new model  :)

Offline silverwing

• Ingenery
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
Oh good,I would appreciate it.EF is an excellent mod,it has improved AI a lot while the AI's hitpoint isnt cheating(its unit has the same hitpoint as player's,only more manpower).It is challenging and exciting to play with the expert AI,I loss many times.